Riviera Maya holidays - eclectic, enticing and cultural
Home to enthralling Mayan ruins, powdery beaches and the towns of Playa Del Carmen and Tulum, the Riviera Maya is a destination with many different sides to explore. Lively street parties are met with unspoilt beaches undiscovered by tourism, whilst the Mayan ruins in Tulum offer a cultural insight into Mexico's history before it became a stellar holiday destination.
A destination for everyone to fall in love with
The Riviera Maya is the sprawling line of scintillating coast to the south of Cancun. It mainly comprises the cities of Playa del Carmen (known as Playa) and Tulum but includes some other fantastic beaches, fascinating ancient sites and friendly towns along the way.
The popularity of the Riviera Maya is unsurprising and completely deserved – it literally has a little bit of everything for everyone. A great restaurant scene and a vibrant nightlife? Check. Sublime sandy beaches and serene hideaways? Check. Fascinating historical past and a rich cultural heritage? Check. It’s rare to find a destination that does so many things, and does them so well.
The range of resorts is truly excellent; you’re quite literally spoiled for choice. Where ever you choose it’s worth checking out the Mayan ruins at Xcaret and Tulum – arrive early to beat the crowds and heat.
Why visit Riviera Maya?
- The perfect sugary sand and clear water is definitely worth coming here for
- Playa del Carmen isn’t quite as tourist-centric as you might imagine – it’s definitely worth a visit if you’re based near
- Xcaret Park gets you up close to the remains of the ancient Mayan civilisation
- Hotels and resorts to suit every taste
- Great scuba diving locations