Christchurch & Canterbury holidays - Modern, picturesque and relaxed
Home to the awesome beauty of the Southern Alps descending into the gorgeous open expanse of the plains, Canterbury stands out as an unfathomably beautiful place, even by the standards of New Zealand. It's partnered with the city of Christchurch - a modern haven of activity with a charming small town atmosphere, retaining the traditional gothic architecture that gives it character.
A region steeped in beauty, and a city that's artistic and botanical
There are many benefits to this region, from the urban sprawl of the city, with its copious shopping outlets and restaurants, to the range of activities on offer. It’s also a pleasantly green city with the botanic gardens and Hagley Park offering some of the finest green spaces of any city in the country.
Go punting on the Avon River or explore the cities huge range of galleries and museums. Christchurch also hosts a number of festivals throughout the year and they are definitely worth attending if your visit is lucky enough to coincide.
Hilly backdrop of the surrounding area provides a natural playground for outdoor excursions – try kayaking, hang-gliding or even just hiking. You can also visit the hot springs and enjoy a long, relaxing soak at Hanmer Springs.
Why visit Christchurch?
- Punt down the Avon River – it’s a very relaxed and romantic experience
- Enjoy the spectacular scenery of the Southern Alps
- Visit the Hanmer Springs to soak in these natural hot pools
- Explore the way you want to – if you’re not ready to face a trek on Mount Cook, how about a leisurely stroll round the botanic gardens?
- Take a look around the city’s many museums and galleries